Shipwright Apprentice Tutor
11 September 2012
Shipwright Apprentice Tutor - job specification
The Pioneer Sailing Trust is seeking to recruit an experienced shipwright/boat builder to lead the development, training and assessment of a team of apprentices based in its boatyard in Brightlingsea, Essex.
The individual will be required to work with the apprentices on a daily basis and to assist them in the achievement of their relevant practical and theoretical qualifications. The work will involve:
- Working with and motivating the apprentices, and monitoring their progress
- Delivering practical and theoretical training
- Assessing the work of the apprentices against qualification requirements
- Liaising with other shipwrights to co-ordinate the work of the apprentices and to take advantage of learning opportunities offered by boatyard activity
- Liaising with partner organisations to ensure quality assurance systems are followed and implemented.
The individual will be based at Harker’s Yard, our purpose built boatyard facility in Brightlingsea on a 5 day per week basis.
They will also be required to work with the management team to help develop new learning opportunities for apprentices and other interested parties.
To fulfil this role, the individual concerned needs to have the following skills and qualifications:
- Recent practical experience of working in a marine engineering role, e.g. boat builder, shipwright,
- Experience of working with young people (16+) in a skills and training environment
- Experience of delivering training
Would be a great help
- Relevant and up to date assessor qualifications associated with vocational education and training
- Relevant training delivery qualifications associated with vocational education and training
We are looking for someone who has demonstrated leadership and is proactive, eager to lead our apprenticeship programme, interested in developing and improving it, and capable of motivating young people. The Trust provides a supportive atmosphere and well-equipped workplace. We can provide opportunities for the right candidate to access outside training in order to gain the necessary qualifications and to develop professionally.
Up to £28k per annum for the right candidate.
In the first instance, send a one-page CV to
The administrator, Pioneer Sailing Trust, Harker's Yard, Shipyard Estate, Brightlingsea CO7 0AR
Interviews will take place during October and November