Curator of Maritime History & Deputy Head of Merseyside Maritime Museum
11 November 2009
Fixed term to 31 March 2011
Pay band 7
Salary £38,458 to £45,708
NB: Apply directly to email@example.com only
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic museum professional to lead the Maritime History department at the Merseyside Maritime Museum and provide support for the Director. You will play an important role in areas of collections management, special exhibitions, venue development, scholarly research and publication. You will lead a small but highly committed curatorial team.
Substantial experience of the management and interpretation of collections and development of exhibitions are essential along with a track record in relevant subject research. You will have good managerial skills including experience of budgetary control, project delivery, leading teams, managing change and developing partnerships. Excellent communication and inter-personal skills are essential.
For further details and an application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively you can download the details from the Human Resources public folder on outlook.
The closing date for receipt of completed application forms is 12.00 noon Monday 30 November 2009.
NML is committed to diversity and we encourage applications from people currently under represented in the workplace. This includes people from black and racial minorities, and people with disabilities.
CURATOR OF MARITIME HISTORY / DEPUTY HEAD OF
MERSEYSIDE MARITIME MUSEUM
Purpose and Objectives
- § To provide management and strategic direction for the department of Maritime History and its staff.
- § To assist the Director of Merseyside Maritime Museum (MMM) in managing and developing the Maritime Museum, including Canning Dock and the historic vessels,
- § To deputise for the Director of MMM when required to do so.
- § To contribute to and support delivery of the policies of National Museums Liverpool.
- § To make a direct personal contribution in a special field of research relevant to the Merseyside Maritime Museum
- § To be responsible to the Director of MMM for the management and development of the Maritime History Department and its collections and for contributing to the overall management of the Maritime Museum Division as a member of the management team, giving advice orally and through written reports.
- § To be accountable for the efficient management of department, providing the Director of MMM with considered advice and contributing to the divisional plan and forward planning processes.
- § To deputise for the Director of MMM as required in all aspects of the management of Merseyside Maritime Museum.
- § To manage departmental staff, including the approval and monitoring of work programmes, performance reviews and appraisals, making recommendations on training and ensuring adherence to National Museums Liverpool policies and maximising staff resources.
- § To manage the allocated departmental budget and to be accountable for its expenditure and authorisation in accordance with National Museums Liverpool financial regulations.
- § To take direct curatorial responsibility for the maritime paintings and works of art on paper.
- § To undertake personal research and publication relevant to the departmental collections and the objectives of the divisional plan and to co-ordinate and monitor the department's research programme.
- § To manage the departmental collections in accordance with National Museums Liverpool policy and audit arrangements and ensuring coherence towards corporate systems and procedures and the attainment of stated targets.
- § To make recommendations to the Director of MMM on all proposals for acquisition by purchase and ensure all departmental acquisitions conform to the current collecting policy.
- § To liaise with the Director of Exhibitions and other colleagues to ensure the delivery of the special exhibitions programme at Merseyside Maritime Museum.
- § To support the Director of MMM in the delivery of venue development plans
- § To make recommendations to the Director of MMM on the loan of objects from the collection and, in conjunction with the Divisional Registrar, to ensure that appropriate loan documentation is completed.
- § To work with colleagues in the Collections Management Division on matters regarding the care and treatment of the departmental collections.
- § To work with colleagues across NML to ensure the delivery of the departmental contribution to the NML strategic plan.
- § To represent National Museums Liverpool at local, national and international meetings and conferences and provide advice to other museums and cognate bodies, and to develop external partnerships to support the delivery of MMM objectives.
- § To assist in fundraising for the Maritime Museum Division and National Museums Liverpool as appropriate.
- § To manage and implement National Museums Liverpool's Health & Safety policies and procedures ensuring a sound health & safety culture within the department.
- § To undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time.
- § To show the highest integrity and confidentiality in the pursuance of these duties.
- § To adhere to National Museums Liverpool's Health & Safety Policies and Procedures, and make a contribution to the continuance of a sound health and safety culture within the department.
Employee Specification Curator of Maritime History / Deputy Head of
Merseyside Maritime Museum
Appropriate university degree.
Associateship of the Museums Association.
Substantial experience of collections management.
Substantial experience of interpreting collections.
Subject-specialist research experience.
Financial management and income generation.
Knowledge and Skills
Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Collections Management systems, policies and procedures.
Research skills/track record.
Forward planning skills.
Ability to work under pressure.