Barcadale

built 1938 by Herd & MacKenzie, Buckie

Ensign House flag

1443

National Historic Fleet


Fishing Vessel

Drifter


Torpoint


Private use

Restoration


No

No


19/03/1999

31/05/2017



Gallery


Propulsion

Motor

Diesel


1955

None


None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

17.48 feet (5.33 metres)


59.97 feet (18.29 metres)

6.98 feet (2.13 metres)


0.00


History

Completed as the drifter EBENEZER by Herd & Mackenzie, Buckie, in 1939, this vessel was requisitioned by the Admiralty immediatley after completion. Operated by her owners - Gardens, from Portlussie, Buckie - she served throughout the war as a tender, ferrying crew to and from warships at the anchorage in Scapa Flow. After the war, she entered the fishery with Gardens, who operated her out of Buckie. She was later sold to operate out of Wick and, finally, Peterhead (with the number PD45). Another owner bought her in 1973 from Peterhead where she was lying neglected, and renamed her BARCADALE. Between 1974 and 1979, she was converted into a yacht. Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Feb 2011.

Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical Almanack 1961 (1961) pub: Olsons

Previous names

  1. 1939 – 1973Ebenezer

Subsequent Developments

  1. May 2009: BARCADALE changed ownership in June 2006 and the conversion and major resoration work was done by her previous owner Source: Previous owner
  2. June 2014: Vessel is in new ownership and currently undergoing some further restoration work. Source: Current owner

Key dates

  1. 1938-1939 Built in Buckie as a fishing vessel named EBENEZER
  2. 1939-1945 Requisitioned by the Admiralty for service at Scapa Flow
  3. 1945-1958 Worked as a fishing vessel out of Buckie
  4. 1958 Sold to operate from Wick and later Peterhead Re-named PD 45
  5. 1973 Bought by new owner and re-named BARCADALE
  6. 1974-1979 Major restoration and conversion to a yacht
  7. 2006 Bought by new owner

Bibliography

    Completed as the drifter EBENEZER by Herd & Mackenzie, Buckie, in 1939, this vessel was requisitioned by the Admiralty immediatley after completion. Operated by her owners - Gardens, from Portlussie, Buckie - she served throughout the war as a tender, ferrying crew to and from warships at the anchorage in Scapa Flow. After the war, she entered the fishery with Gardens, who operated her out of Buckie. She was later sold to operate out of Wick and, finally, Peterhead (with the number PD45). Another owner bought her in 1973 from Peterhead where she was lying neglected, and renamed her BARCADALE. Between 1974 and 1979, she was converted into a yacht. Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Feb 2011.

    Olsen's Fisherman's Nautical Almanack 1961 (1961) pub: Olsons

If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

copper fastened:

a vessel whose plank fastenings are of copper rather than iron