M. Y. Ruda
Motor Yacht built 1938 by Lady Bee Ltd, Shoreham on Sea
Overseas Watch List
To be confirmed
10.60 feet (3.23 metres)
40.00 feet (12.20 metres)
4.20 feet (1.28 metres)
RUDA (official number 166177) was built in 1938 at the Shoreham yard of H T Stow, as the first boat of their newly designed 'Adur' Class of cruiser. She was exhibited at the London Boat Show and was offered for sale at £2800 (or £2400 with petrol engines).
RUDA is carvel built with pitch pine planking on oak frames and with teak deck and superstructure. She was originally powered by twin Ailsa Craig RF2 16-24hp 4-stroke diesels which are still powering her along at a cruising speed of 7 knots. Her teak and Honduras mahogany interior is still mostly intact. She entered service with the Navy during the war and was then bought back by the yard. She then had a series of private owners and a spell as a hire boat for Blue Water Cruisers working out of Salcombe, Devon. Ruda was rebuilt in south Devon and since 2004 has been cruising in Europe.
- 1938 Vessel launched and exhibited at the London Boat Show.
- 1940 Recquisitioned on behalf of the Ministry of War Transport and registered as a motor boat and employed by the Admiralty on Auxiliary Patrol Duties until November 1941, then laid up until June 1942.
- 1942 June: Employed by the Admiralty on miscellaneous Naval Duties until October 1944.
- 1944 27 October: Laid up under Admiralty control.
- 1946 Sold by the Admiralty into private ownership.
- 1938 The Motor Boat A Shoreham-built Cruiser 39-footer with Twin Diesel Engines
a vessel whose plank fastenings are of copper rather than iron