Phoenician

Spritsail Barge built 1922 by Wills & Packham, Milton Creek, Sittingboune


219

Archived


Cargo Vessel

Barge


Spritsail Barge

Heybridge Basin


Private use

Unknown


More information required


No

No


06/03/1996

01/11/2012



Gallery


Propulsion

Sail

Diesel


None

None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

20.00 feet (6.10 metres)


79.93 feet (24.38 metres)

6.98 feet (2.13 metres)


200.00


History

Built in 1922 by Wills & Packham of Sittingbourne, PHOENICIAN is a Thames sailing barge with a hull constructed of pitch pine and oak, using a double skinned lapped plank method. Her current engine is a Gardner 6LXB diesel 180 HP.

She was the last wooden Thames sailing barge built, and was intended to win the Thames Barge Racing Competition, which she proved very successful at before World War 2. During the war she survived an aircraft crash landing on her and thereafter went to the Naze backwaters mooring barrage balloons. After the war she was rebuilt at government expense as a motor barge. Her owners included E A Horlock and R Sully and she traded until 1973 when she was sold out of trade to Albert Groom for chartering and community purposes, based at Ipswich.

Subsequently she moved to West India Docks and then to Pin Mill for restoration. In the 1980s, she was re-rigged to her original specification.

Frank Carr, Sailing Barges (1971)
Richard Hugh Perks, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen (1975) pub: Conway Maritime Press
The Last Berth of the Sailorman (1987) pub: Society for Spritsail Barge Research
D G Wood, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1 (1995) pub: Society for Spritsail Barge Research

Bibliography

    Built in 1922 by Wills & Packham of Sittingbourne, PHOENICIAN is a Thames sailing barge with a hull constructed of pitch pine and oak, using a double skinned lapped plank method. Her current engine is a Gardner 6LXB diesel 180 HP.

    She was the last wooden Thames sailing barge built, and was intended to win the Thames Barge Racing Competition, which she proved very successful at before World War 2. During the war she survived an aircraft crash landing on her and thereafter went to the Naze backwaters mooring barrage balloons. After the war she was rebuilt at government expense as a motor barge. Her owners included E A Horlock and R Sully and she traded until 1973 when she was sold out of trade to Albert Groom for chartering and community purposes, based at Ipswich.

    Subsequently she moved to West India Docks and then to Pin Mill for restoration. In the 1980s, she was re-rigged to her original specification.

    Frank Carr, Sailing Barges (1971)
    Richard Hugh Perks, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen (1975) pub: Conway Maritime Press
    The Last Berth of the Sailorman (1987) pub: Society for Spritsail Barge Research
    D G Wood, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1 (1995) pub: Society for Spritsail Barge Research

If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

landing strake:

the strake between the binding strake and the top strake