Light Vessel 93

Lightship built 1938 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth

Designated ensign Designated house flag

2872

Registered


Service Vessel

Light vessel


Lightship

London


Private use

Private Use


Yes

No


10/07/2015

30/11/-0001



Gallery


Propulsion

Towed

None


None

None


Dimensions

0.00

25.00 feet (7.62 metres)


134.00 feet (40.84 metres)

15.00 feet (4.57 metres)


519.00


History

LIGHT VESSEL 93 was ordered by Trinity House in 1938 and was built by Philip & Son of Dartmouth. She is a vessel of riveted steel construction. She first served on the Galloper Station and then on mine watching duties on the Thames between 1947 and 1953. After further service on the East Goodwin and Galloper Stations she had renovations carried out by Swan Hunter in 1980 and Holman & Sons of Penzance in 1996.

After conversion to solar power in 1998 she had further service at Inner Dowsing Station, Sunk Station and Foxtrot 3 before being sold into private ownership in 2004.

Previous names

  1. Galloper

Key dates

  1. 1938 Built by Philip & Son of Dartmouth
  2. 1939 Handed over to Trinity House
  3. 1971 Steering shelter replaced by Swan Hunter
  4. 1980 Automated by Holman & Son, Penzance
  5. 1996 Converted to solar power
If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

copper fastened:

a vessel whose plank fastenings are of copper rather than iron