Brixham Trawler built 1933 by Upham, J W & A, Brixham
To be confirmed
13.18 feet (4.02 metres)
52.95 feet (16.15 metres)
6.79 feet (2.07 metres)
Built at Brixham in 1933 by J W & A Upham as a ketch-rigged trawler yacht, OUR BOY was never a working trawler and was completed six years after the last of the working Brixham trawlers were built. Her design as a yacht drew heavily on Upham’s best Brixham trawler (William & Sam of 1917), but scaled down from 68 ft to 53 ft. She was constructed of pitch pine planking on oak frames and timbers, with elm garboards. Upham’s built OUR BOY as a speculation during the depression to maintain their workforce and named her for Stewart Upham.
Her first owners were Mr and Mrs John Guzwell, of Jersey, and they took her to South Africa where she is believed to have been involved in the illicit diamond trade. Mr Guzwell was a former Grimsby trawlerman. On her return to Great Britain OUR BOY was purchased by Mr A Baker in 1935, and then in 1939 by Edward, Baron Stanley of Alderney who devoted a chapter in his book ‘Sea Peace’ to her, noting that he bought her as a means of escape from Alderney should the Germans invade. She had three more owners and a name change to Thankful in 1948, and was then bought in 1949 by Richard Young who renamed her Regard. Michael Pearson bought her in 1964 and owned her until 1999. In 1981 she joined the National Sailing Centre fleet at Cowes running week long cruises. Subsequently she was owned by Chris Bedford of Brixham before being purchased by her current owners who recovered her from Brightlingsea in November 1999.
She is being restored in Maylandsea, Essex, and in 2009 reverted to her original name.
Source: Historic Sail, Britain's surviving working craft, Paul Brown, the History Press.
- 1933 – 1946Our Boy
- 1948 – 1949Thankful
- 1949 – Regard
- 2011 Work is progressing to return her to her 'as built ' state as far as possible. Repair to the frames is now complete and the new deck nearly finished. Next month re-fastening and re-caulking will begin. Source: present owner
- July 2011 Restoration well underway and the vessel is hoping to be back in the water in August when the internal fittings will commence. Work is progressing to return her to her 'as built ' state as far as possible. Repair to the frames is now complete and the new deck nearly finished. Next month re-fastening and re-caulking will begin. Source: present owner
- September 2012 OUR BOY is aiming to be back in the water around Christmas with a view to completing the internal fit out afloat. Source: present owner
- 1993 Old Gaffer's Association Member's Handbook and Boat Archive
- Financial year April A Sustainability Grant of £1,500 towards the costs of hull planking was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships
a single pin or one of a pair rising vertically from the sheer and acting in a variety of ways to provide a fulcrum for the oar