- 1924 Captain
It is considered to be the oldest surviving hull (although somewhat modified) built by F.M.C.
COUNTESS is a narrow boat, built by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. at Saltey in 1897. Her British Waterways number was 072897 and she was originally registered at Birmingham as number 897 on 1 October 1897. Her hull has iron sides, riveted to iron knees and she now has a steel bottom, although this was previously timber. Her bow is pointed and she has a counter stern. Her current engine is a Lister JP3 diesel, with three cylinders and thirty-five brake horsepower, made in approximately 1950. She was commissioned by the canal carriers Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. to be part of their fleet of steam powered narrow boats. It is believed that she was fitted with a steam engine by Haines Ltd. of Fazely St, Birmingham. She was contracted out for many years to John Dickinson's of Croxley as a 'paper dasher'. In 1924, she was re-named by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. as CAPTAIN following conversion to diesel power. She now has a full length cabin rather than an open hold.
Converted to Diesel
Shortened approx. 1988.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org