Certificate no 1645
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Birmingham
Vessel type Butty
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1935
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
6.98 feet (2.13 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
71.44 feet (21.79 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

ASH is a ‘tree class’ narrowboat butty, built by W. J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd. at Northwich on 9 August 1936 and delivered to the Erewash Canal Carrying Company on 7 October 1935. She was registered with the Municipal Borough of Loughborough on 1 January 1948 and was transferred to the British Transport Commission, London. She was allocated to the South Eastern Division Carrying Fleet on 1 October 1953 and was then taken on by British Waterways on 1 January 1963. ASH was later sold to Nigel and Di Carter who converted her to a residential boat. In their ownership, she was based at Cowley Lock on the Grand Union Canal. Around 1972, she was sold to Stroudwater Cruises Ltd., Gloucester and in 1974 she was bought by the Birmingham & Midland Canal Carrying Company.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Cedar with other vessel Cyprus

Registered, built 1935 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

ST AUSTELL (right) and motor boat CHISWICK (left) - at Langley Mill near Nottingham. Stern looking forward.

Archived, built 1942 by Harris Brothers, Netherton

ILFORD - moored up. Port bow looking aft.

Archived, built 1912 by Braithwaite & Kirk, West Bromwich

in dry dock

Archived, built 1957 by Nurser Brothers, Braunston