APPLE is a narrowboat built by W. J. Yarwood & Sons of Northwich in 1931 and commissioned by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. Her fleet number was 302 and she was registered at Birmingham as number 1537. In 1958, she was re-numbered by the Inland Waterways and then re-registered at Northwich as number 46. She was originally used on the Grand Union Canal between London and Birmingham as a 'flyboat', operating day and night carrying perishable goods. Later, she moved to the North West area between Birmingham, Manchester and the Mersey estuary, towing an unpowered narrowboat. APPLE passed to British Waterways in 1948 and was then sold to Threefellows Carrying Company. Her hull is currently sound and her cabin, containing mostly original fittings and fixtures, is under restoration, together with the running gear. The hull is riveted, with coppered steel plate sides, and initially had an elm bottom which has now been replaced in steel. The cabin is made of pitch pine, with oak frames. APPLE’s current engine is an inboard Lister HB2, with two cylinders and twenty-nine brake horse power, made in 1960.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org