MGB 60, a 70ft British Power Boat is still afloat after nearly 60 years and is set to be restored to her original glory. She was originally ordered for France as Vedette Torpilleur Bateau, VTB 33, but taken over for the Royal Navy in July 1940 serving first as a motor anti submarine boat then as a motor gunboat, MGB, and finally as a control and/or towing boat, C/T, before being sold.
On the night of 21/22 April 1942 MGB 60 and her sister MGBs 58, 64 and 67, were in action with E-Boats off Ostend, managing to set one of the enemy on fire. On the night of 6/7 June 1942 she and 3 sisters were again in action against German trawlers off Thornton Ridge. On the night of 2/3 October 1942 MGB 60 with three 71 ft 6 in BPB, MGB 77, 78 and 81, of the 8th MGB Flotilla, led by the Senior Officer, Lt Cdr Robert Hichens, in MGB 77, was in action off Holland with Four German armed vessels, when MGB 78 was lost.
MGB 60 underwent hull repairs at Brightlingsea in the spring of 1943, during which period she was fitted with a Type 286 PU radar set. Further repairs were carried out at Brightlingsea lasting the whole of June. After target towing at Portsmouth, MGB 60 returned to the Nore Command and was under repair at Oulton Broad during March 1944. Following this she ran from Harwich and Lowestoft on target towing duties, involving gunnery practice by the MTBs based thereand, still powered by her three 'Merlins' was the fastest boat at the base.
By the end of August 1944 she was no longer serviceable and was paid off. On 9 September she was slipped for the removal of her engines and armament and the following day was laid up at Oulton Broad. She was still there in July 1945, with her MGB number 60 remaining on the bow. In September 1944, MGB 60 was allocated to replace her and be redesignated C/T 26. As with other craft redesignated as C/T boats, the necessary action for the new designation to be shown on the craft was to be taken locally. Although C/T 26 appeared in the Admiralty Red Lists between May and October 1945, being shown in Reserve at Poole, until handed over to the Director of Small Craft Disposals, MGB 60 is also recorded in these same lists as being at Lowestoft. With this latter reference to MGB 60 being supported by the personal observations referred to in the previous and subsequent paragraphs, there must be some doubt that MGB 60 actually became C/T 26, and certainly the refernce to her being in Reserve at Poole , as C/T 26, and sold by the DSCD there, would appear to incorrect.
Post war, she was in use as a houseboat named NORDWIND at Woodbridge, Suffolk, and remained there until January 1998, when her owner, Mr Pinlott, offered her to the Coastal Forces Heritage Trust. The CFHT intend to move her in June 1999, from Woodbridge to a berth in Lowestoft, close to that used by the preserved 68ft Vosper MTB 102. In 2004, it is believed that the vessel was disposed of.
We are lacking information about this particular vessel. If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.
Vessel built by British Power Boat Co. Ltd, Hythe
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com