Certificate no 2193
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Landrake
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Bute, Cardiff
Built in 1947
Hull material
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
9.25 feet (2.82 m)
Depth
8.00 feet (2.44 m)
Length: Overall
33.97 feet (10.36 m)
Tonnage: Gross
9.88
Air Draft
3.00 feet (0.91 m)

History

FRECKLES was built in 1947 by Bute of Cardiff to a design by Jack Laurent Giles. Commissioned by a Royal Navy Doctor, Dr Seaward Snr, she was used by the family for many years, moored under a viaduct in St Germans, Cornwall.

FRECKLES was eventually stored in yard at Boating World in Landrake, Corwnall, for 17 years when her current owner found her. Restoration began approximately 11 years ago starting with an assessment of the vessel and the removal of her keel.

Since then various works have been undertaken with the aim of fully restoring the vessel.  FRECKLES has been re-decked and has had a new engine installed - a 1950s, side valve, 2 cylinder Volvo.

 

 

 

In 2007, she was being renovated by a new owner.

Key dates

  • 1946

    Built by Bute of Cardiff as a Cutter Rigged Ketch for an RN Doctor Stewart

  • 1947-1983

    Sailed by the family and moored under a viaduct in St Germans, Cornwall

  • 2002

    Bought by present owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight