Previous names

  • 1909 - 1945 Frances
Certificate no 545
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location France
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Archive reason Overseas Watch List
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Howard, John, Maldon
Built in 1909
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.59 feet (3.84 m)
Depth
3.61 feet (1.10 m)
Length: Overall
47.97 feet (14.63 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

The barge yacht LADY FRANCES was built in Maldon as an in 1909 by John Howard, of Maldon. One of the post-war owners was Cmdr. Charles Lamb, DSO DSC RN, whose wartime exploits are described in his book 'War in a String Bag'. He became the first Hon. Admiral of the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships. He helped to obtain the privilege of flying the Cross of St George. Since his death, in 1981, LADY FRANCES belonged to Charles Lamb's son, Jeremy.

Although this vessel is on the Overseas Watch List, we are lacking information about this particular vessel. If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Sources

Leather, John, Barges: A photo of the craft under sail, hull lines, interior layout and builders history, Adlard Coles Ltd
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989

Key dates

  • 1909

    Vessel built by John Howard, of Maldon

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight