Royal Museums Greenwich are seeking a Shipkeeping Technician for Cutty Sark.
The main responsibility for this post is to maintain the original fabric of the ship to ensure Cutty Sark is preserved for visitors to enjoy now and in the future. The post holder will be responsible for maintaining the Cutty Sark to expected standards, and for maintaining non AV displays on board Cutty Sark.
- Support the Shipkeeping Manager in looking after Cutty Sark
- Look after contractors, students and volunteers, as required
- Keep accurate records
- Assist with the maintenance, preservation and presentation of Cutty Sark, as directed
- Maintain the Ship’s weather deck, all public and non-public areas and objects in line with established methodologies, as necessary
- Ensure good working practice, tools and materials are maintained and clean and tidy
- Ensure that Health and Safety requirements and guidelines are observed including risk and COSHH assessments for both visitors and staff in line with RMG policies
- Public engagement to ensure excellent visitor experience
The above mentioned tasks are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be called upon to carry out such other appropriate duties as may be required by the Museum within the competence of the post holder.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must be practical, resourceful, and enthusiastic and take a pride in their work, and should have the skills listed below:
- Competent at surface finishes with a knowledge of materials
- Woodworking skills
- Have a flexible approach to work and be able to work under pressure either in a team or on your own initiative
- Some work will be carried out at high level, within restricted areas, outside, and some heavy lifting will be required
- Up to date training for all machinery, handling equipment, working at heights, etc
- Experience in working within a heritage context and preferably on a historic ship
- Qualification in carpentry and joinery
circa £22,300 per annum
The role works a roster pattern of 36 hours per week 8am–4pm Monday-Friday. There may be a requirement for some evening and weekend work, for which time off in lieu will be agreed.
Please apply via the RMG website: www.rmg.co.uk/about-us/jobs-opportunities/vacanciesContact Claire Patterson-King Contact email email@example.com