Boat Builder - Project leader for the community rowing project
Pioneer Sailing Trust is passionate about making a difference to people in the community and strive to deliver projects which meet the local need. Working with a broad range of services, youth groups, businesses and charities, we aim to have innovative approach and we pride ourselves on the quality product and support given to young people learning boat building.
Job specification- The Pioneer Sailing Trust is seeking to recruit an experienced boat builder to lead the production of 24ft composite rowing gigs. This work will be part of a significant 3 year project.
Profile of the individual: This role is critical to both the successful delivery of community rowing project and to the wider goals of the Pioneer Sailing Trust. Due to the Trusts role as a provider of training and a charitable trust receiving considerable interest from the general public, we are looking for an individual who exhibits a high standard of professionalism and who can to lead, enthuse and motivate our apprentices.
Specific roles and duties will include:
- Ordering materials and tools needed for the project and liaising with suppliers of materials and services;
- Collaborating in developing the programme of learning for apprentices;
- Structure and organise the build process of the rowing gigs and any other boat building tasks set and delegation of tasks;
- Supervision and management of apprentices/work experience students working on the boat projects;
- Ensuring that the work area is kept clean and is cleared of debris on a daily basis and presents a professional image to apprentices and visitors
- Encouraging and providing guidance to apprentices, taking time to explain key stages of the build process
- Liaising with other contractors and staff within the Pioneer Sailing Trust to resolve short term problems
- Regularly reporting to the senior management team on project progress and action to resolve potential project slippage
- responsibility for ensuring that all work implemented in the yard complies with health and safety requirements and good working practices
- Ensure that all boat yard staff and apprentices adhere to health and safety procedures set by the Pioneer Sailing Trust
- Producing progress reports to support financial claims made to funders of the project
Essential skills and experience
- Minimum of 5 years of boat building experience
- Experience of running boat projects
- Experience of working on GRP hulls with wooden fit out
- Ability to work and communicate with young apprentices
- Ability to work to deadlines
NVQ Assessors qualification
3 year 37.5 hours per week
Salary £27,000 per annum
ApplyingIn the first instance, applicants are required to send a CV together with details of previous experience. Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an interview which will incorporate a practical activity.
Applications should be made to:
Felicity Lees -Pioneer Sailing Trust, Harker's Yard, Shipyard Estate, Brightlingsea CO7 0AR
Email CV to Felicity at email@example.com
Application deadline: 31st August