Salary (Grade 6): £30,350 - £36,650 per annum (dependent upon experience)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (full-time)
Standard hours Monday to Thursday 8.00 am to 4.30 pm and 8.00 am to 1.30 pm on Friday, however they are adjustable to suit work requirements and locations, with consultation
Location: Based at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, with periods of work required in Hartlepool and Belfast
The National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) is looking to expand their in-house Rigging team with the recruitment of a Lead Rigger. This is a permanent full-time role which will lead the work to maintain the masts, yards and rigging on HMS Warrior, HMS Trincomalee, HMS Caroline and HMS M33, undertaking both routine and project work under the direction of the Master Rigger. This is a great opportunity for an experienced traditional rigger or tall ship Bosun/Officer who has detailed knowledge and experience in leading the maintenance of rigging on traditional vessels.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a key part of the continued care and maintenance of the wide range of rigs within NMRN’s collection, to ensure they are maintained to a high standard and retain historical accuracy. There are a number of interesting projects planned in the coming years to renew and replace rigging across the collection and this role will be fundamental in delivering this work. The Lead rigger and Master Rigger will plan and coordinate the work across all the vessels.
This role requires management of rigging team members, purchasing and coordinating supply of materials and equipment, maintaining records, completing health and safety paperwork, coordinating works with other teams and contractors.
• Detailed knowledge of square rig standing and running rigging
• Detailed knowledge of traditional rigging techniques, and experience in completing
• Experience in completing rigging maintenance on traditional vessels
• Experience in leading the planning and completion of rigging maintenance with teams of staff
• Experienced in leading the completion of complex rigging work aloft
• Experience managing subcontractors
• Knowledge of Health and Safety associated with working aloft, lifting and workshop operations
• Good planning and coordination skills
• Good team leader who is self-motivated and able to develop an effective, safe and productive team
• Good IT and communication skills
• Experience engaging with the public
• This post requires a standard DBS check as a requirement of working on the naval base.
• The opportunity to be part of a friendly and diverse workplace within a unique heritage environment
• Funded IRATA level 1 qualification course.
• Group pension plan with Royal London (6% employer contributions, 2% employee contributions and death in service benefit)
• 25 days’ annual leave (plus bank holidays), increasing to 30 days’ annual leave (plus bank holidays) after 5 years’ service.
• Occupational sick pay.
• Flexible working.
• Employee Assistance Programme.
• Digital mental wellbeing resource for you and a ‘plus one’.
• Free admission to other national museums and attractions within the reciprocal agreement.
• Discounts at our shops and cafes.
• Free and discounted tickets for family and friends.
Please read the role profile for additional information, for further details or an informal discussion regarding the role please contact Andy Hodder Smith, Master Rigger at Andy.HodderSmith@NMRN.org.uk or call 02392 891370, extension: 2024.
Applicants are asked to submit a CV and a statement indicating how their knowledge and experience match those specified. Applications should be forwarded to the HR Team at recruitment@NMRN.org.uk and are required by 08:00 on Monday 1 November 2021. The selection process will take place in Portsmouth in November.
The Coronavirus pandemic has highlighted our responsibility to ensure appropriate safety measures are in place, and we would like to assure you that these are reviewed on a regular basis as the safety of our staff and visitors is of utmost importance to us.
If you require reasonable adjustments to be made to the application process because of a disability, please contact the HR team on email@example.com for support.Closing date PDF Role Profile - Lead Rigger NMRN.pdf Job type Permanent Remuneration Salary Salary £30,350 - £36,650 per annum (dependent upon experience) Job location South Contact Ginny Thomas Contact email firstname.lastname@example.org