The National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) is looking to employ 2 Riggers on a fixed term basis, for the period of November 2021 to March 2022, to assist the full-time rigging team in completing a variety of work. We are looking for suitable applicants who can either work the entire period or for a block of 2 to 3 months.
During this period, we will be fabricating new hammock nets for HMS Victory, working aloft on HMS Warrior to complete a variety of remedial work including replacing some rigging and installing chafe protection and undertaking a project on HMS Trincomalee to replace one of the fighting tops platforms which includes removing spars and fabricating new rigging. This is a great opportunity for someone with minimal traditional rigging experience to work with the NMRN rigging team and develop their rigging skills. This might suit someone with experience working as a deck hand, bosun or mate on a traditional small craft, or working on a tall ship as bosun’s mate or deck hand.
• Experience working on traditional vessels
• Experience completing maintenance on traditional vessels
• Some experience climbing/working aloft
• Competent in tying basic knots (RYA competent crew knots)
• Good team member who is self-motivated
• Understanding of health and safety associated with working on traditional vessels and aloft.
• Experience engaging with the public
Applicants are asked to submit a CV and a statement indicating how their knowledge and experience match those specified. Applications should be forwarded to the HR Team at recruitment@NMRN.org.uk and are required by 08:00 on Monday 1 November 2021.Contact Andy Hodder-Smith Contact email Andy.HodderSmith@NMRN.org.uk