To oversee the operation and maintenance of the Foundation’s vessels, manage full-time, seasonal and volunteer crew and ensure delivery of a high level of customer service to clients.
To work with Trustees and other shore-based staff to develop and deliver a range of sailing activities, including youth sail training, holidays and charter, RYA Practical courses and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award residentials and expeditions.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES:
To be responsible for:
- Ensuring that the material condition of the vessels is maintained and where appropriate improved in line with best practice
- Development and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures and other relevant company policies
- Development of operational budgets for each vessel for each financial year and monitoring and controlling performance against them
- Provision of regular reports for monthly Management and quarterly Trustee meetings and such other reports as may be required from time to time
- The recruitment of sea staff and volunteers and maintenance of associated personnel records
- Monitoring customer feedback and dealing with any complaints concerning matters under his/her control
- Crew training
- Management of crew work and holiday rotas
- Provision of crew payroll information
- To act as line manager for all sea staff
- To sail as skipper on board the foundation’s vessels as required
- To undertake such other duties as may be required in the interest of the Foundation’s business
As part of a small office team, also become familiar with and involved in with other aspects of the Foundation’s business and charitable activities.
RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore, commercial endorsement
RYA Cruising Instructor or RYA Yachtmaster Instructor qualification.
Full UK Driving license.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALITIES:
The Operations Manager should have:
- Practical experience in command of the Foundation’s vessels, or alternatively of similar vessels operating in the sail training and charter sectors and have successfully completed a Skipper Assessment on one of the Foundation’s vessels.
- Familiarity with maritime legislation relevant to the operation and manning of commercial vessels under 24m LWL length and its application in the sail training and charter sectors
- Familiarity with MS Office applications.
- An organised approach to handling information and managing workloads is essential.
- Experience of working in a small office team
- Management within a sail training organisation or sailing school
- Logistics and project planning/delivery
- Basic bookkeeping skills
- An understanding of UK employment law and practice
Based at the Foundation’s office in Brixham with travel as required to represent Trinity and skipper the vessels of the foundation.
N.B. This Job description is not An exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. The Operations Manager is expected to be flexible in his/her approach to the job and undertake any duties as may reasonably be required.
Please see link below for UK Sail Training information doc.