Pilgrim of Brixham is the oldest surviving sailing trawler built and rigged in the port of Brixham. She is a 22m/90ton wooden gaff rigged ketch built in 1895 which underwent a major restoration in 2009/12. Since 2013 she has been cruising the coasts of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall and visiting the Channel Islands, Brittany and the isles of Scilly. Pilgrim is MCA coded (CAT2) for a total of 15 (passengers and crew) and typically accommodates 10-12 guests. Cruises vary from day sails, B&B weekends, short-breaks and holidays. We are not a sail training organisation. We believe guests should be encouraged to participate in sailing activities whenever possible to enhance the overall enjoyment of their time aboard.
Pilgrim is owned and operated by a registered charity – the Pilgrim Heritage Sailing Foundation. We are seeking to recruit a permanent full time skipper with experience of large gaff-rigged sailing vessels to be based in Brixham. We need a skipper to sail Pilgrim with flair and who inspires the ships company, is able lead on training for volunteers and guest crew. We usually operate from May-September with maintenance and any refit work taking place in the off season.
Applications close 11th January 2019.
1. The safe handling and navigation of Pilgrim of Brixham in a manner compliant with statutory provisions, including the Maritime Labour Convention provisions where applicable and in accordance with her MCA Category 2 Small Commercial Vessel Coding and consistent with good maritime practice.
2. Ensuring that activities year-round are carried out in accordance with the Foundation’s Standard Operating Procedures and in compliance with the Foundation’s adopted Policies. PILGRIM Heritage Sailing Foundation Registered office: 15, Fore Street, Brixham, Devon, TQ5 8AA Tel: 01803 858148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Registered in England and Wales Company No. 10763532. Charity Commission No. 1175124.
3. Leading and supervising any employed or contracted crew and our volunteer crew.
4. Looking after the welfare of guests, crew, volunteers, and trainees, including their morale and discipline.
5. Training, coaching and mentoring existing crew, volunteers and trainees by encouraging their professional development and acting as a role model.
6. Undertaking personal assessments and certification (where appropriate) of crew, volunteers, trainees and guests as part of their personal or professional development. In particular, assessing volunteers progress as to their crew suitability.
7. Work constructively with the Trustees to:
- Operate the vessel within budget and following the Foundation’s financial and purchasing procedures.
- Create and maintain proper records as necessary and in accordance with necessary Data Protection and Privacy policies.
- Deal with unexpected issues and incidents that may arise, such as the need to implement emergency repairs or deal with a medical emergency
- Help to find and recruit new crew and volunteers as an integral member of the Foundation’s volunteer management and administrative team.
- Help with the planning and scheduling of future programmes.
1. Current RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sailing) Commercially Endorsed and to be renewed as required.
2. Current Full ENG1 or ML5 Medical Fitness Certificate, to be renewed as required.
3. Residential base readily accessible to Brixham, Devon. 4. Attain satisfactory Enhanced DBS check.
Qualifications and experience required:
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (Sailing) Commercially Endorsed
- Full ENG1 or ML5 Medical Fitness Certificate
- RYA Cruising or Yachtmaster Instructor (preferred)
- Previous experience of gaff-rigged vessels required
- Previous experience of sail training required
- Excellent communications, and social skills with crew, guests and volunteers
- Team player able to organise, motivate and co-ordinate volunteer supporters
- Ability to work and interact effectively with volunteer Trustee Leadership Team
- Experience in a similar role desirable
Informal exploratory visits welcome. Applications close 11th January 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in January and any contracts concluded will be subject to on-board assessment, satisfactory references and satisfactory completion of an enhanced DBS check. A detailed job description is available here.
Applications can be made online here and CV’s can be uploaded as part of the online application process. Applications can be part completed, saved and completed prior to submission as required.