St Ives Pilchard driver built 1881 by Trevorrow, Henry, St Ives.
St Ives Pilchard driver
To be confirmed
11.51 feet (3.51 metres)
39.18 feet (11.95 metres)
6.00 feet (1.83 metres)
Built as a dipping lug-rigged pilchard driver in 1881 by Henry Trevorrow at Porthwidden Beach, St Ives, BARNABAS is now owned by the Cornish Maritime Trust. She has the pointed stern that was a characteristic of the West Cornwall luggers. Her original owner was Barnabas Thomas who registered her as a second class pilchard boat (634 SS) on 28 October 1881. Later she was registered as a first class mackerel driver (so called because the boat was driven by the effect of the tide on her nets), and her number changed to SS 634. The number is said to have been chosen because it corresponds to the hymn ‘Will Your Anchor Hold’ in the Methodist hymn book. Her year began in March, fishing for mackerel – sometimes as far west as the Isles of Scilly, and in mid-summer she switched to herring in the Irish Sea, often fishing off Howth, near Dublin. Her crew of five men and a boy all ate and slept in the cramped foc’sle. The drift nets were shot at night.
In 1917 BARNABAS had a 26hp petrol/paraffin engine installed. Shecontinued to fish fromStIves until1954, and was then sold and converted to a yacht, kept in Falmouth. By 1980 BARNABAS was in the hands of the Maritime Trust who restored her in 1985, thanks to the generosity of Peter Cadbury, whose family had owned her in the 1950s. In 1994 the Cornish Maritime Trust bought her from the Maritime Trust for £1, and in 1996 a new engine was fitted, but by 2001 she was unseaworthy. An extensive full restoration started in 2005 with the aid of a £159,600 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. BARNABAS was re-launched with a new engine in July 2006, and is sailed by the Cornish Maritime Trust from her base in Mousehole harbour.
Source: Historic Sail, Britain's surviving working craft, Paul Brown, the History Press.
- April 2012 Vessel selected for Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012. Source: National Historic Ships UK
- 1881 Built by H Trevorrow of St Ives
- 1954 Converted to private yacht based at Falmouth
- 1999 Acquired by the Cornish Maritime Trust
- 2005 Underwent restoration
- 1969 Sailing Drifters: The story of the herring luggers of England, Scotland and the Isle of Man. - March, Edgar J
- 1976 Sailing Craft of the British Isles - Finch, Roger
- 1978 Old Ships, Boats and Maritime Museums - Sullivan, Dick
- 1983 Working Boats of Britain - McKee, Eric
- 1988 Lost Ships of the West Country - Langley, M and Small, E
- 1993 International Register of Historic Ships - Brouwer, Norman J
- 1995 Cornish Lugger Association biennial Looe Regatta 1995 Programme
- 2004/2005 The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £159,600 to preserve this example of West Country Luggers
a rope, chain or iron collar which attaches the yard to the mast but which allows vertical movement