Previous names

  • 1961 - 1998 Seal Morning
Certificate no 1768
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Sheringham
Vessel type Liverpool Class Lifeboat
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
Built in 1935
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Petrol
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.23 feet (3.12 m)
Depth
3.00 feet (0.92 m)
Length: Overall
35.48 feet (10.82 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

FORESTERS CENTENARY was built by Groves and Gutteridge at Cowes in 1935, costing £3,569. She was named by the Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Roger Keyes, on 18 July 1936 and was a gift from the Ancient Order of Foresters to the RNLI. She served at Sheringham, Norfolk from 1936 to 1961 and was Sheringham's first motorised lifeboat. She became known as the 'airmen's lifeboat' because she rescued more RAF personnel than any other lifeboat. She stood by for hours during over 1000 bombing raids and is credited with being launched 129 times and saving 92 lives. FORESTERS CENTENARY was sold in 1961 into private ownership. She had a cabin and wheelhouse fitted at this time and was converted to a fishing hire boat. She was renamed SEAL MORNING and kept this name until 1998. In January 2003, she was put on display at Sheringham.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

port side view

Liverpool Class Lifeboat built 1904 by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall

Port side view

Liverpool Class Lifeboat built 1953 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

port side view

Liverpool Class Lifeboat built 1948 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

Always Ready at sea, starboard side

Liverpool Class Lifeboat built 1933 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight