Liverpool Class built 1940 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
To be confirmed
10.23 feet (3.12 metres)
35.48 feet (10.82 metres)
To be confirmed
LUCY LAVERS served at Aldeburgh from 1940 and went into reserve from 1959 to 1968. She was launched 82 times in total and saved 44 lives. She was later sold out of service and re-named L'ESPERANCE. In 1997 she was stripped in Jersey to restore another lifeboat and was then taken on by the Dunkirk Little Ships Restoration Trust. She was never restored by them, but stored (as little more than a hull) in various boatyards on the South Coast before being tracked down by the Rescue Wooden Boats Charity to whom she was donated.
Restoration work was started on her in December 2011.
- 31 March 2009 LUCY LAVERS is now owned by the Dunkirk Little Ships Restoration Trust and is currently in storage at Keyhaven awaiting funds to complete her restoration. Source: current owners
- December 2011 LUCY LAVERS is currently undergoing restoration in Stiffkey, Norfolk. Source: Rescue Wooden Boats charity
- September 2012 Once restored, the plan is to return the vessel back to Dunkirk, by sea, with visits by school children and the general public on the way, to the 75th anniversary of the Dunkirk evacuation of troops in 2015. She will also take people on trips afloat locally in the summer and be on view for visits in the winter. Source: Rescue Wooden Boats charity
- November 2012 Rescue Wooden Boats has secured £99,300 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore LUCY LAVERS, which will account for 67% of the projected costs of the restoration. The aim is to restore her in time to return to Dunkirk in 2015 for 75th anniversary celebrations of the evacuation of troops. When fully restored she will be returned to the water in Wells, where she once served. Source: EDP24.co.uk, Dec 2012
- 2015 Classic Boat The Little Ships Prepare to Revisit Dunkirk
- 2015 ADLS News Fleet news
- 2012-2013 The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £99,300 for restoration and interpretation
tubular metal fitting in the bows of a vessel through which the anchor cable passes