Light Ship Petrel

Lightship built 1915 by Dublin Dockyard Company

Designated ensign Designated house flag

2782

Registered


Service Vessel

Light vessel


Lightship

Strangford


Community Vessel

Community Vessel


Yes

No


08/04/2014

09/04/2014


Web site

www.downcruisingclub.co.uk

Gallery


Propulsion

Towed

None


None

None


Dimensions

38.00 feet (11.58 metres)

23.25 feet (7.09 metres)


114.50 feet (34.90 metres)

9.75 feet (2.97 metres)


370.00


History

LIGHT SHIP PETREL was built in 1915 by the Dublin Dockyard Co. and is a vessel of iron and steel riveted construction. The vessel was built for the Commissioners of Irish Lights and was bought by the Down Cruising Club, Northern Ireland in 1968 for use as a clubhouse. It has remained in this role ever since and is maintained by club members.

Key dates

  1. 1915 Built by the Dublin Dockyard Company
  2. 1968 Bought by the Down Cruising Club for use as a club house
If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

landing strake:

the strake between the binding strake and the top strake