Certificate no 299
Status Registered


Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Excursion
Location River Dart
Vessel type Excursion
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No
Web address http://www.avocetcruises.co.uk/


Builder Philip & Son, Dartmouth
Built in 1948
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
86.95 feet (26.52 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


Built in 1948, DARTMOUTH CASTLE is a passenger vessel with the capacity for 309 passengers. She has been fully restored to her original specification, with her hull shot-blasted and epoxy coated and runs birdwatching trips during the winter on the River Exe, operating a ferry service in the summer months on the River Exe, Dart and around Torbay


Geoffrey Hamer, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles (1995) pub: G P Hamer

Key dates

  • 1948

    Built by Philip & Son at Noss on the River Dart as a Passenger Vessel for River Dart Steamship Co.

  • 1948-1978

    Used as a Passenger vessel by the River Dart Steamboat Co.

  • 1978-1985

    Sold to the Millbrook Steamboat Co.

  • 1985

    Sold to Dart Pleasure Craft

  • 2005

    Sold to Mike Palmer of Dart Pleasure Craft wanted to convert the vessel to the original specification of a passenger vessel capable of carrying 297 in the river and 250 passengers at sea

  • 2015

    Vessel is thought to be on the River Dart out of service

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Elizabeth under way - port side

Excursion built 1922 by Unknown

Devon Belle in Plymouth

Excursion built 1947 by Johnson & Jago, Leigh on Sea, Essex

Coronia in Scarborough

Excursion built 1935 by Fellows & Co, Great Yarmouth

Connaught on the Thames

Excursion built 1911 by Salter Brothers Ltd, Oxford