Light Cruiser built 1914 by Cammell Laird Ltd, Birkenhead
National Historic Fleet
To be confirmed
41.48 feet (12.65 metres)
445.70 feet (135.94 metres)
14.49 feet (4.42 metres)
HMS CAROLINE was the name ship of a class of six light cruisers built by Cammell Laird in time for the outbreak of the Great War. Launched and commissioned in 1914 she joined the Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow. In 1916 she was engaged in the Battle of Jutland.
In 1918 the Admiralty experimented with launching a light aircraft from a platform aboard a ship and HMS CAROLINE was the chosen vessel. In 1924, after two years on the reserve list, she was transferred to Northern Ireland as HQ for the local division of the RNVR and was converted for this new duty at Harland & Wolff's yard. In 1993 she became the Reserve Training Centre to recruit and train RNR officers and ratings.
HMS CAROLINE is now the second oldest commissioned ship in the Royal Navy - HMS VICTORY is the first. She is also the last surviving vessel of any nation which fought at the Battle of Jutland.
April 2011 Vessel recently decommissioned and has been taken over by the Portsmouth-based National Museum of the Royal Navy. In an attempt to find a 'long term suitable and sustainable' option for the ship, the museum is developing a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) bid and will continue to examine any solution for her staying in Belfast. Source: National Historic Ships.
August 2011 Amgram Ltd conducted an inclining experiement to determine the stability of the vessel. Vessel shows sufficient stability to satisfy the IMO criteria for a ship experiencing severe wind and rolling conditions. Source: Amgram Ltd.
October 2012 A grant of up to £1million from the National Heritage Memorial Fund (NHMF) has been awarded to support the vessel which will now have a secure future in Belfast where people will be able to visit her and learn about her unique role in the First World War. Source: DCMS website, Oct 2012.
May 2013 Heritage Lottery Fund has confirmed its initial support for the transformation of the vessel with a grant of £845,600. The money will enable the National Museum of the Royal Navy to draw up a more detialed plan to bid for a full grant of £12.2m. Source: BBC News, 9 May 2013.
Built by Cammell Laird, Birkenhead as a Light Cruiser and launched by Lady Lawrence Power, wife of Admiral Lawrence Power
Joined the Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow as part of the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron
Participated in the Battle of Jutland and was heavily engaged by a German Battleship without sustaining severe damage
Chosen in an Admiralty experiment to launch light aircraft from an on-board platform
Sent to the East Indies Station
Paid off and placed on the Reserve List
Transferred to Belfast, Northern Ireland and converted for use as the Headquarters of the RNVR Ulster Division
Became a Depot Ship for patrol craft based in Belfast
Used once more as the HQ for the RNVR Ulster Division
Training for the RNR (Combined with the RNVR in 1958)
Became the Reserve Training Centre to recruit and train RNR officers and ratings to support the Royal Navy
Vessel decommissioned after being the longest commissioned ship after HMS VICTORY in the Royal Navy
- 1974 HMS Caroline: A brief account of some warships bearing the name, and in particular of HMS Caroline (1914-1974), and of her part in the development of the Ulster Division, RNVR, and later RNR - R S Allison
- 1978 Old Ships, Boats and Maritime Museums - Sullivan, Dick
- 1993 International Register of Historic Ships - Brouwer, Norman J
- 2003 Ships Monthly A ticket to Ride
- 2013 Classic Boat Belfast - First World War survivor awarded £1m
a rope, chain or iron collar which attaches the yard to the mast but which allows vertical movement