Henry Ramey Upcher
built 1894 by Emery, Lewis, Sheringham
To be confirmed
11.25 feet (3.43 metres)
34.75 feet (10.60 metres)
4.33 feet (1.32 metres)
HENRY RAMEY UPCHER is a lifeboat of clinker built oak construction. She was built in 1894 by Lewis Emery at Sheringham and was powered by oars and sail. The vessel takes its name from the Upcher family of Sheringham Hall who provided the privately-run boat to replace the town's first rescue vessel, the AUGUSTA. She was known locally as the Fishermans Lifeboat, there being other RNLI lifeboats in service at Sheringham at the time. Launching was a community effort requiring considerable manpower.
The vessel was propelled by 16 oars, occasionally requiring two men to each oar. She could also carry a main lug sail and a mizzen sail. During her service she was launched 61 times and saved 202 lives. Her most famous rescue was of the crew of the brig ISPOLEN in 1897 during the most ferocious storm for decades when her coxswain, Tom Barnes Cooper, was over 70 years old.
After her withdrawal from service in 1935 she was launched for the Sheringham regattas and other festive occasions. She is now on display in an indoor museum in Sheringham.
- 1894 Vessel was built by Lewis Emery at Sheringham
- 1897 Rescue of the brig ISPOLEN during a storm
- 1935 Withdrawn from RNLI service
a rope, chain or iron collar which attaches the yard to the mast but which allows vertical movement