Arctic Penguin

built 1910 by Dublin Drydock Company Ltd, Dublin

Designated ensign Designated house flag

655

Registered


Service Vessel

Light vessel


Inveraray


Up for Sale

Museum: floating


No

No


22/09/1996

31/10/2016


Web site

www.inveraraypier.com

Gallery


Propulsion

Auxilliary Sail

Diesel


None

None


Dimensions

To be confirmed

24.00 feet (7.32 metres)


99.93 feet (30.48 metres)

13.28 feet (4.05 metres)


400.00


History

Built 1910 by Dublin Dockyard for the Commissioners of Irish Lights, ARCTIC PENGUIN is a light vessel with a hull of iron and steel. She served on the Daunt Rock Station from 1910 to 1920 and thereafter was used as a spare light vessel. She was sold out of service in 1966. Purchased by T. W. McSweeney in 1966, she was converted to a youth adventure training vessel and renamed HALLOWEEN; the conversion was to a fore-and-aft schooner. In 1982 she was purchased by D. Norris and renamed ARCTIC PENGUIN with plans to convert her to a 20 passenger cruise ship. In 1988 she hit a submerged obstruction and sank. She was salvaged and laid up at Renfrew. In 1995 she became part of the Maritime Heritage Centre at Inverary.

Previous names

  1. 1910 – 1966LV Penguin
  2. 1966 – 1982Halloween
If you are the owner of the vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

copper fastened:

a vessel whose plank fastenings are of copper rather than iron