THE 2023 NATIONAL HISTORIC SHIPS UK PHOTO COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED TO SUBMISSIONS.
How to enter:
The competition runs from 1st May to midnight on 31st August 2023. To enter a photograph in our competition, complete an online entry form and upload your images as directed. There are three dropdown categories to choose from;
- In All Weathers - for our overall competition
- Classic Boat - for the Classic Boat Award
- Newcomer of the Year - only open to photographers who have not entered the competition before
You may submit the same image in more than one category, if it is eligible. Please note that we may transfer a photograph between categories if we feel it improves its chances of winning. You can enter the competition as many times as you like within this criteria.
The People's Choice Award will run solely on the National Historic Ships UK Instagram page, where you'll have a chance to vote for your Photo of the Month from a selection of our team's favourite entries. The four monthly winners will then go through to the Grand Final in September, when the public will vote to decide the People's Choice Award winning image.
By entering a photo in the National Historic Ships UK Photography Competition, you are confirming that:
- it was taken and processed by you
- it was taken in the last two years
- it is your original work
- it does not infringe the copyright or any other rights of any third party
- you are granting NHS-UK royalty-free license to use your image(s)
Image sizes, format and resolution
- We recommend a camera or phone with the ability to take images of 6 MB or more
- The image should be of sufficient resolution so that it can be reproduced at 200 dpi at A4 size
- For the A True Classic category it must be reproducible at 300dpi at A3 size so that it can be printed as a feature image in the magazine
- Images must be submitted as either JPEG or TIFF format only
- Images may be submitted in either portrait or landscape format, but only landscape images will be chosen to feature in our annual calendar
- Submitted images must not be watermarked or captioned in any way
For each photograph that you enter in the Competition you are granting National Historic Ships UK a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, and publicly display your photograph or film solely in connection with the Competition or linked promotional material including our website and without any further notice or remuneration to you. Your entry form asks you to provide your name in the format you wish to be used in any acknowledgements.
The information you give us when you submit an image is kept on our electronic record system and is only accessible to authorised staff. The personal data is held alongside the relevant images for copyright and acknowledgment purposes. If you have a question about the way we handle your personal information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.