Previous names

  • 1926 - 1953 Wilfred
  • 1953 - 1983 Stargate
Certificate no 1171
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Embankment
Vessel type Spritsail Barge
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Piper, J R, Greenwich
Built in 1926
Hull material Other metal
Rig Spritsail
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
21.34 feet (6.51 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
88.16 feet (26.89 m)
Tonnage: Gross
106.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

WILFRED is a twin screw motorised general cargo carrier, built by J. Piper of East Greenwich in 1926. Her official number was 149696. She previously had a Bergius diesel engine with two cylinders and eighty-eight brake horsepower, but is now fitted with a Kromhout 90 kilowatt engine. From 1926 to 1949, she worked in the sand and ballast trade under the ownership of Thomas Scholey & Co. Ltd., out of Dawson Wharf, Greenwich. Her sister ships were PIP and SQUEAK. During this time, in 1938, she was converted to a motor barge. In 1953, she was re-named STARGATE and sold to Rochester Trading Co. to trade in general cargoes. However, she retired from the trade in 1970 and passed into private ownership. In 1983, her name was changed back to WILFRED. She was refurbished in 1991 and started trading as 'El Barco Latino', a restaurant ship moored at Temple Pier on Victoria Embankment, London

We are lacking information about this particular vessel.  If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Sources

Lloyds Register of Ships 1997-8, Lloyd's of London, pp1031, Volume A-G, 1998  

Key dates

  • 1926

    WILFRED is a general cargo carrier built by J. Piper of East Greenwich

  • 1926-49

    Worked in sand and ballast trade under ownership of Thomas Scholey & Co. Ltd., Dawson Wharf, Greenwich

  • 1938

    Converted to motor barge

  • 1953

    Re-named STARGATE and sold to Rochester Trading Co. to trade in general cargoes

  • 1970

    Retired from the trade and passed into private ownership

  • 1983

    Name changed back to WILFRED

  • 1991

    Refurbished and started trading as 'El Barco Latino' restaurant ship moored at Temple Pier, London

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

George Smeed starboard view

Registered, built 1881 by Smeed, Dean & Co. Ltd.

Photography competition entry 2014 - highly commended

Registered, built 1898 by Cann, John & Herbert, Harwich

Reminder - port side view, underway, Essex.

National Historic Fleet, built 1929 by Horlock, F W, Mistley

Scone - underway

Registered, built 1919 by London & Rochester Barge Co, Rochester