Certificate no 1445
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Sharpness
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Simpson Strickland & Co Ltd, Dartmouth.
Built in 1900
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
8.98 feet (2.74 m)
Depth
3.51 feet (1.07 m)
Length: Overall
41.97 feet (12.80 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

VALENCIA is a motor yacht, built by Simpson, Strickland & Co. Ltd. of Dartmouth in the 1900s. Her hull is carvel built of teak on oak frames and she has a timber keel and one timber mast. Her decks have been replaced with pine. The hull is fastened with copped nails and she has a counter stern, a pointed bow and a raked straight stem. The current engine is a four cylinder Perkins diesel. In the 1920s, VALENCIA was found in Putney reach in pieces. She was then taken to Ireland, where she was restored by Norman Goodbody and kept at Killaloe on Loch Derg, Tipperary. Her steam engine was replaced by an Ailsa Craig petrol engine and a cabin was built forward of the saloon. In the 1940s, she was acquired by Professor Jack Henry, but remained on Loch Derg and was used as a family boat. The engine was changed again and a Morris Navigator installed. She was sold to Adrian Henry in 1971 and the engine was altered in 1989 to a Perkins diesel. VALENCIA was purchased by the present owner after a period of neglect and was sailed to England in 1993 for restoration and repair. Most of this work was undertaken by John Howard of Tewkesbury. The boat is in use today as a family boat and, in 1997, was used as an exhibit by the National Waterways Museum at Gloucester as part of its Victorian Weekend celebrations.

Key dates

  • 1900s

    Built as a motor yacht by Simpson, Strickland & Co Ltd at Dartmouth

  • 1920s

    Found in Putney reach in pieces, taken to Ireland and restored by Norman Goodbody

  • 1920s

    Steam engine replaced by Ailsa Craig petrol engine and cabin built forward of saloon

  • 1940s

    Acquired by Prof Jack Henry and kept on Loch Derg

  • 1940s

    Ailsa Craig engine replaced by Morris Navigator engine and vessel used as family boat

  • 1971

    Yacht acquired by Adrian Henry

  • 1989

    Boat suffered a lot of damage when engine was again replaced with a Perkins diesel

  • 1993

    Vessel taken to England for restoration and repair by John Howard of Tewkesbury

  • 1997

    Used as exhibit by National Waterways Museum Gloucester for Victorian Weekend celebrations

  • 1999

    Sold by Mrs R Henry for further restoration work to be carried out

  • 2006

    Acquired by present owner who plans to restore her to steam power

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk