ALDGATE is a motor narrowboat, built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. (GUCCCL) by Harland & Wolff Ltd. at Woolwich. She was launched in August 1936 and operated under fleet number 103 and Grand Union gauging number 12555. Her British Waterways number was 71684 and she was registered as number 133 at Rickmansworth on 16 February 1937. Her hull is built of steel plate and riveted. She has a pointed bow and a counter stern with one deck. The engine is a Petter PD2, with two cylinders and twenty horsepower at 1500rpm, made in 1958.
ALDGATE was built as a pair with ANGEL, but entered service with ASTON in 1937 at Rickmansworth. She remained in service with GUCCCL until 1947, then both vessels passed to the British Transport Corporation, before being transferred again to Willow Wren Carriers, then George Matty of Oldbury and latterly the Colne Valley Carriers. Due to maintenance and repairs the boats were occasionally separated, but were finally re-united in 1994 by their current owners. The vessel is in full working order and was re-bottomed in 1995. She has recently carried a variety of cargoes including coal, timber, beer, concrete, medical supplies, boat trailers, marquees and a prefabricated building. In 1995, ALDGATE and ANGEL were part of a thirty-one boat flotilla that crossed the channel (on a ferry) to promote British Waterways in Flanders, Belgium., but ALDGATE is now separated from the butty.
Built by Harland & Wolff, Woolwich for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company
Worked for British Transport Commission then Willow Wren Carriers
Received a £3000 Sustainability Grant from National Historic Ships UK
Vessel now permanently moored at Braunston
Financial year April
A Sustainability Grant of £3,000 for remedial and protective work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships to ALDGATE and ANGEL
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org