ACHILLES was built by Harland & Wolff Ltd., at Woolwich, in November 1935 and was commissioned by the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company. She was a 'Star' class narrowboat butty, designed to work as a pair, and was inherited by British Waterways in 1948. After 1965, ACHILLES was purchased by the Birmingham & Midland Canal Carrying Company and used to carry cargo alongside the motor COLLINGWOOD until the 1970s. Today, ACHILLES is one of the few ‘Star’ class butties to survive in their original form. Her interior is currently an empty shell, but is sound and watertight. The original elm bottom has been replaced with steel.
Alan H Faulkner, The George & the Mary (1973) pub: Robert Wilson
Waterways World (October, 1999, pp50-54)
Built by Harland & Wolf at Woolwich, London as a Star Class Butty boat for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Fleet
1935 - 1947
Worked with a motorboat as a commercial cargo-carrying pair
Inherited by the British Transport Commission
1948 - 1965
Continued working with a motorboat as a commercial cargo-carrying pair
Bought by Birmingham & Midland Canal Carrying Company
1956 - 1970s
Continued use in traditional cargo trade with motor Collingwood
Interior converted for camping
Vessel in care of and livery of Birmingham Canal Boat Services Ltd, a successor to the Birmingham & Midland Canal Carrying Company. Restoration not yet started
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org