- Stanton 61
- Stewarts & LloydsTug No 3
Built in 1935 by Harland & Wolff at Woolwich for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co.Limited, VESTA is a narrowboat with iron sides and a steel bottom which replaced the original elm. Her current engine is an inboard diesel made by National Diesel in 1935. She was sold by GUCCC to Stanton & Staveley Ironworks at Ilkeston in 1942; then sold to Stuarts & Lloyds at Coombeswood Tube Works at Halesown in 1947. She was afterwards taken to Harris at Netherburn and shortened to tug length and used to tow dayboats in and around Birmingham. Name changes have followed changes in ownership and include VESTA NO.96, STANTON 61 and TUG NO.3.
Faulkner, Alan H, The George & the Mary, Robert Wilson, 1973
Built by Harland & Wolf at Woowich for Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd
Sold to Stanton & Staveley Ironworks at Ilkeston and renamed STANTON 61
Sold to Stuarts & Lloyds at Coombeswood tube works at Halesown
Taken to Harris at Netherburn and shortened to tug length after removal of middle plates
Used to tow dayboats in and around Birmingham as Tug No. 3
Sold to new owner
Used as pilot boat for re-opening of Stratford Canal by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
Purchased by Michael Woodhouse for private leisure use
Reported to be in excellent condition
Purchased by current owner
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com