Certificate no 1900
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Location Doncaster
Vessel type Maintenance Vessel
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Dunston, Richard, Thorne
Built in 1921
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
14.00 feet (4.27 m)
3.00 feet (0.92 m)
Length: Overall
57.00 feet (17.39 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


ENTERPRISE was designed to be a maintenance vessel for the South Yorkshire Navigation and the Deane & Dove Canal. Her original owners were the South Yorkshire Navigation Company which was taken over by the British Transport Commission in 1948 and by the British Waterways Board in 1962. Initially, ENTERPRISE was horse drawn and her first engine was put in during the late 1930s. Similarly, she boasted a hand operated crane to begin with, which used the mast and derrick, but this has now been replaced by a modern hydraulic crane. ENTERPRISE was built to West Country size for the Deane & Dove Canal which is slightly smaller than the South Yorkshire Navigation. This also enables her to work on the Calder & Hebble Navigation and the River Ure to Ripon, where she can often be seen today. ENTERPRISE was sold for scrap in 1985, recovered from a scrap yard in Newark by her present owner, returned to Doncaster and put back into service. She is still based on the South Yorkshire Navigation today and used for her original purpose.

Key dates

  • 1921

    Built by R Dunston of Thorne

  • 1948

    She was owned by British Transport Commission

  • 1985

    Sold for scrap and bought by present owner

  • 2016

    She is thought to be in Doncaster and still in use as a Maintenance Barge

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

SUN RISEN - as Jesse Wallwork

Registered, built 1923 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Ivy May - during current collections move

Registered, built 1934 by Neath Canal Company, Neath