Previous names

  • 1980 - 1996 Cam Leopard
Certificate no 1910
Status Archived


Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Trawler
Location NONE
Vessel type Grimsby Side Trawler
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes


Builder Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Built in 1957
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
26.00 feet (7.93 m)
To be confirmed
Length: Overall
142.00 feet (43.31 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



ROSS LEOPARD was built in 1957 by Cochrane & Sons of Selby for Ross Fisheries. She was one of a fleet of twelve sister ships in the Cat Class - all named after cats by a class of Grimsby school children. From 1957 onwards, ROSS LEOPARD fished successfully out of Grimsby as part of the 'Northern Trawl', returning to port after three weeks off the coast of Greenland and Iceland with as much as 90 tons of cod and haddock packed on ice in the hold. Once in port, the catch was unloaded by hand while the 15 man crew grabbed some shore leave. After refuelling, the ship and crew would often put to sea again the following day.

ROSS LEOPARD was converted for use as a oil rig safety standby vessel in 1985 and renamed CAM LEOPARD, after which she was sold to her present owner in 1993. By 1995, had been converted to an art space and bar; her engine was removed to create a space for a dance floor.

Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Mar 2011.

Although this vessel has been disposed, we are lacking information on this particular vessel.  If youhave any past information please contact us

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Ross Tiger - Portside

Registered, built 1957 by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

Ross Revenge August 2014

Registered, built 1960 by

starboard side view

Registered, built 1935 by Bjorn and Jacobsen, Denmark