Certificate no 1991
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Salford
Vessel type Leeds & Liverpool Shortboat
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Pimblott, Isaac & Co Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1936
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
14.30 feet (4.36 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
61.00 feet (18.61 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

SEVERN is one of the few surviving examples of vessels built by Pimblott’s. She was commissioned by Canal Transport Ltd, Liverpool and traded on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. She worked carrying grain for Kellogg’s and was unusual in that she was never used to carry coal. Following nationalisation, she worked for British Waterways. SEVERN joined the maintenance fleet and was sold into private hands in 1991. She sank in the 1970s, with the result that the hull was unnecessarily over-plated. However, this meant that the original plates were protected from wear and tear. The doubling has now been removed so that the hull is original, with the exception of a few small plates that have been inserted. Having virtually all the original hull intact makes SEVERN unique, especially as very few ‘shortboats’ survive and the majority of those are incapable of carrying cargo without major work. Today, SEVERN is still regularly used by her four co-owners. Her engine is a Lister diesel and she has her original fore-cabin, with a replacement heater.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Wye

Registered, built 1946 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Kennet at Bradley

Registered, built 1947 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

GEORGE - a stern view

National Historic Fleet, built 1910 by Wigan Coal & Iron Co, New Springs, Wigan