Built in 1935 by W J Yarwood & Sons of Northwich, SCULPTOR is a composite motor narrowboat with a Lister HA2 diesel engine, used by the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company for general cargo between the Midlands and London. During World War II she was commissioned by the Ministry of War Transport as a fire fighting facility, based on the Grand Union Canal at Greenford. By 1964 she was being used as a canal maintenance boat at Northwich. In 1985 she was withdrawn from the fleet and restored at the museum at Ellesmere Port and in 1986 she was moved to The Canal Museum at Stoke Bruerne. Sculptor is a vital part of the Canal Museum, as she is the first contact that most visitors receive as they approach the site. We are currently fundraising to have major work done to the bottoms
HNBC: Steaming up for the 13th Braunston Narrow Boat Rally, pp37, 2015/2
April - January 2011
A Sustainability Grant of £1000 for remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com