Certificate no 2437
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Liverpool
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1937
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
15.00 feet (4.58 m)
Depth
5.00 feet (1.53 m)
Length: Overall
65.00 feet (19.83 m)
Tonnage: Gross
50.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Originally built for, and named after, the trustess of the River Weaver, FRANCE HAYHURST began as maintenance craft, but having been built with a state room, soon became an inspection vessel for visiting dignitaries. She was taken into service by British Waterways until the 1980s when she went into private ownership and was sailed around the coast to Yorkshire. After some years, she fell into disrepair following the death of her owner, and she lay abandoned on the Aire and Calder. She subsequently had a succession of owners who had different plans for her, until she was bought in 2005 for restoration to a seaworthy state, in order to bring her back to the North West. She was sailed back around the coast to her current mooring in Liverpool, since when restoration has been ongoing. Her owner is a storyteller who intends to tour the Weaver and Mersey telling her tales.

Key dates

  • 1937 Built by W J Yarwood & Sons
  • 1980s Taken out of British Waterways service into private ownership
  • 2005 Bought for restoration to a seaworthy state

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk