WESTMORELAND was built in 1900 by A. M. White, in Conyer, Kent and is believed to be the only remaining Kent brick barge. From 1900 to 1955, she carried bricks for Eastwoods Brickmakers from Lower Halstow to expanding Victorian London. Between 1955 and 1963, she was maintained by the company purely for racing in the Thames and Medway commercial matches. Ownership transferred to the Thames Barge Sailing Club in June 1963 who maintained and sailed her until she broke her back in 1973 at Hoo. The wreck was then sold and towed to Faversham for rebuilding. Substantial work was undertaken but never completed. At the time of registration, she was seeking funds for a full rebuild to restore her to full sailing condition as a reminder of our significant industrial past, and particularly her relevance to the local heritage at Lower Halstow and surrounding ports.
Built by A.M. White in Conyer, Kent
Carried bricks for Eastwoods Brickmakers from Lower Halstow to London
Maintained by company for racing in the Thames and Medway commercial matches
Ownership transferred to Thames Barge Sailing Club
Maintained and sailed until she broke her back at Hoo
Wreck sold and towed to Faversham for rebuilding. Substantial work undertaken but not completed
Seeking funds for full rebuild to restore her to full sailing condition
The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £3800 for restoration work
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org