Certificate no 2556
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Dredger
Location Pin Mill
Vessel type Oyster Smack
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea
Built in 1889
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
35.40 feet (10.79 m)
Breadth: Beam
10.60 feet (3.23 m)
Depth
4.60 feet (1.40 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

TRANSCUR CK 365 was built in1889 and is believed to have replaced a larger 17 ton smack of the same name that was registered out of Maldon as MN11 in 1871.  It was in 1898 that the Maldon Transcur did not appear in the register and TRANSCUR CK 365 was first registered.

Her early history is rather vague and the only thing known is that she worked from the Crouch and was owned by the Smith Brothers, well known Oyster merchants of the Crouch.  In 1924 she came out of the fishing register and was sold for conversion to a yacht.  Coamings and skylights were added.

In 1937 her first engine was fitted on the starboard quarter.  She passed through several hands, with each owner keeping her for approximately five years.  Most of this time was spent on the East Coast.

The current owner bought her from Lymington where she had been for 19 years.  Since she was not in a sound enough condition to be sailed back to the East Coast, she came back over land and the next two years were spent conserving her.  Her original floors were retained, but the remainder of the boat had to be reconstructed.  Her original gaff rig was also replaced and she has subsequently been sailed regularly to Holland each year for family holidays. 

TRANSCUR was extensively cruised by Frank Mulville, who wrote about her in his book 'Terschelling Sands', when he nearly lost the vessel.

Key dates

  • 1889

    Built by Aldous & Sons at Brightlingsea

  • 1898

    Name changed to TRANSCUR CK 365

  • 1900s

    Owned and worked by the Smith Brothers, Oyster merchants of the Crouch

  • 1924

    Came out of fishing register and sold for conversion to yacht. Coamings and skylights added.

  • 1937

    First engine fitted on starboard quarter

  • 1940s-90s

    Passed through several hands with each owner keeping her for around 5 years each

  • late 1950s

    Original gaff rig removed

  • 2000?

    Current owner bought her from Lymington where she had been for 19 years

     

Grants

  • June 2014

    A Sustainability Award of £850 towards the costs of sails was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Gamecock moored

Registered, built 1907 by Collar, Whitstable

Alberta under sail - port side.

Registered, built 1885 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

ETHEL ALICE - under sail. Starboard side

Registered, built 1897 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

Thistle out sailing

Registered, built 1908 by Whitstable Shipbuilding Co, Whitstable