SCEPTRE was launched on 2 April 1957 and the same year was a challenger for the America's Cup, the first event allowing 12 Metre boats. It is believed that this was only the second challenge since 1851 which was made in the spirit of the cup: between yacht clubs rather than wealthy individuals working through a club.
After failing to win the Cup, SCEPTRE was returned to the UK, sold and continued racing with considerable success. In 1971 she was sold for conversion to a cruising yacht and re-launched a few years later.
- 1958 Vessel launched on 2nd April
- 1958 Particpated in America's Cup.
- 1960s Raced by Eric Maxwell as a 12M throughout the 1960's.
- 1971 Sold to Edward King for conversion to cruising yacht
- 1976 Purchased from the estate of E King by Tony Walker
- 1986 Launched as a cruising yacht
- 1986 Syndicate of owners formed that continues to present day (2012)
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org