Previous names

  • 1982 - 1999 Ferry Queen
Certificate no 2603
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Ferry
Location Glasgow
Current use Museum based
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder McLean, Hugh & Sons Ltd, Govan
Built in 1951
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
57.00 feet (17.37 m)
Breadth: Beam
13.00 feet (3.96 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Air Draft
12.00 feet (3.66 m)
Tonnage: Gross
35.00

History

No. 8 Ferry was bult in 1951 by Hugh McLean & Sons.  She is the sole survivior of 23 built of a similar design, bult between1865 and 1951. She was emploed on six principal corssings on the upper reaches of the River Clyde.  The ferries played an important transportationrole duing the shipyard and industry period but on their decline in the 1970's the ferries gradullay became redundant and finally ceased in October 1980.

Key dates

  • 1951 Launched
  • 1981 Superstructure cropped to reduce airdraft when transferred to Forth & Clyde Canal
  • 1982 Re-named Ferry Queen
  • 1999 Transferred to Clyde Maritime Trust
  • 2001 Engine rebult
  • 2002 Canal transit and returned to the Clyde

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk