Previous names

  • 1892 - 1912 236
Certificate no 31
Status National Historic Fleet


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Portsmouth
Vessel type Admirals Barge
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes


Builder White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight
Built in 1892
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Steam
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Steam compound
Boiler type Water Tube
Boilermaker Langley Engineering, Storrington
Boiler year 1989
Boiler fuel oil


Breadth: Beam
9.60 feet (2.93 m)
3.80 feet (1.16 m)
Length: Overall
40.00 feet (12.20 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



JANET was built as Admiralty Barge No. 236, associated first with HMS EDGAR; then in 1893 with HMS CRESCENT; in 1897 with HMS ROYAL ARTHUR; and finally with HMS POWERFUL. She was de-commissioned in 1912 and sold and converted to a motor yacht on the River Shannon. She was acquired by her present owners late in 1988, brought back to Gosport and was first re-steamed in August 1992. She was bought by her current owner in 2002, and is now based in Windermere.

We are currently seeking further information on this National Historic Fleet vessel. If you have any details about this vessel past or present, please contact us.


Steamboat Register: An illustrated Register of surviving steam vessels in the British Isles, Steam Boat Association of Great Britain, Edition 6, May 1994
Classic Boat, October 1992

Key dates

  • 1892

    Built by J. Samuel White as an Admiral’s Barge, No. 236

  • 1892

    Appropriated for HMS EDGAR

  • 1893

    Appropriated for HMS CRESCENT

  • 1897

    Appropriated for HMS ROYAL ARTHUR

  • 1904

    Appropriated for HMS EURYALUS

  • 1906

    Appropriated for HMS POWERFUL, Commander in Chief’s Australian Station

  • 1912

    Un-appropriated from HMS POWERFUL at Portsmouth

  • 1913

    Sold to private owner in Dublin and converted to a motor yacht

  • 1936

    Sold to R. N. Eaton

  • 1986

    Sold to G. W. Ryan

  • 1988

    Sold to G. St John

  • 1988-1991

    Restored by the Maritime Workshop at Gosport

  • 2002

    Sold to a private owner and taken to Lake Windermere

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Port Bow View

Registered, built 1920 by White, A M, Conyer

Count Dracula, 2015 on dry land

Registered, built 1913 by Unknown