Previous names

  • 1949 - 1970 Berry Castle
  • 1970 - 1972 Golden Cormorant
  • 1972 Totnes Castle
Certificate no 315
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Excursion
Location Ullswater
Vessel type Excursion
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No
Web address www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk/index.htm

Construction

Builder Philip & Son, Dartmouth
Built in 1949
Hull material Other metal
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
16.00 feet (4.88 m)
Depth
3.60 feet (1.10 m)
Length: Overall
67.00 feet (20.44 m)
Tonnage: Gross
58.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

In 2007, LADY WAKEFIELD joined the Ullswater 'Steamers' fleet to allow continuous winter sailings to be maintained and to accommodate daytime charters by groups and coach parties during the peak season.

This motor vessel had spent the first fifty-six years of her life as an excursion boat in south Devon, having been built in 1949 by Philip & Son, Darmouth, as BERRY CASTLE, for the River Dart Steamboat Company Ltd. She was a steel-hulled vessel with space for 150 passengers and cruised on the River Dart between Dartmouth and Totnes.

In 1972, she was sold and renamed GOLDEN CORMORANT, operating at Fareham and Rochester. In 1977, she returned to the Dart as TOTNES CASTLE, and was owned by Dart Pleasure Craft. Under the latter name, she was sold to Plymouth Boat Cruises in 1985 and ran a summer ferry service from Plymouth to Cawsand and occasional trips to Looe. In July 2005, she was sold to Ullswater 'Steamers', who wished to acquire a 'heritage' vessel in keeping with the others in their fleet. After a delivery voyage to Whitehaven, the vessel was transported to Ullswater by road; because of height restrictions, the superstructure had to be removed for this journey.

A two-year refurbishment on a slipway near Pooley Bridge was finished in March 2007, and she was recommissioned in a ceremony by HRH Princess Alexandra at Glenridding Pier on 17 April 2007. The name LADY WAKEFIELD honours the wife of Lord Wakefield, who acquired the Ullswater Navigation & Transit Company in 1953. Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated March 2011.

Sources

Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Coronia underway

Excursion built 1935 by Fellows & Co, Great Yarmouth

Henley - Port side

Excursion built 1896 by Clark, Edwin & Co Ltd, Brimscombe

Goring - starboard side

Excursion built 1912 by Salter Brothers Ltd, Oxford

starboard side view

Excursion built 1965 by Mitchell, Percy, Mevagissey