Previous names

  • 1926 - 1947 Armadillo
Certificate no 316
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Ferry
Location Cremyll
Vessel type Ferry
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No
Web address www.tamarcruising.com

Construction

Builder Rogers Boatyard, Cornwall
Built in 1926
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Steam
Primary engine type Unknown
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
65.97 feet (20.12 m)
Tonnage: Gross
25.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

NORTHERN BELLE was built as the steam ferry ARMADILLO by Rogers Boatyard, of Cremyll, Cornwall, for the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe's estate, which had, since 1885, operated the ferry service between Cremyll Quay and Admiral's Hard, Plymouth. After the death of the 5th Earl in 1944, the descent ceased and ownership of the vessel passed to the Millbrook Steamboat & Trading Co. In 1956-47, a rebuild of Mashford, Cremyll, (the yard previously owned by Rogers) involved the replacement of the steam engine by a diesel, and the vessel was renamed NORTHERN BELLE. In 1980, Dart Pleasure Craft took over the Millbrook Steamboat & Trading Co. In 1985, the vessel was sold to Tamar Cruising and continued to provide the ferry service until 2009.

Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Mar 2011.

In January 2019 it was reported that the vessel had been bought by a local group called the Northern Belle Trust who aim to restore her and return her to service on the Tamar, possibly used as a floating classroom. The group are working on a brand new electric propulsion system, the very first time that such a move has been made in the UK.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Balmoral - underway, starboard view

National Historic Fleet, built 1949 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Woolston, Southampton

Registered, built 0 by Unknown

At Mostyn

Registered, built 1956 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast

Karina - port side view (photo comp entry)

Registered, built 1946 by Philip & Son, Dartmouth