- 1909 - 1931 Charterhouse
- 1932 - 2009 Marian
- 2009 - 2019 Charterhouse
CHARTERHOUSE was a self-righting for display lifeboat (Official Number 563) which was fitted with a petrol engine, sails, and oars. She was the most advanced lifeboat at the time of her build, which was sponsored by old boys of Charterhouse school. She was launched in 1909 and served as the Fishguard lifeboat between 1909 and 1930. Her most notable rescue was that of the SS Hermina in 1920. She was sold in February 1931 and was converted into the yacht Marian and re-fitted with a cabin and a diesel engine. She sailed extensively in the south of England before being sold to a family in North Wales where she was chiefly used as a holiday house boat, based for many years in North Wales, first at Conway and then at Port Penrhyn, Bangor.
In 2009 she was donated by owner to Charterhouse Returns Trust for display in Fishguard & Goodwickwith the objective of exhibiting her in her original home of the Fishguard Lifeboat Station. She was taken to Goodwick, where her conservation work began (the pleasure yacht superstructure was removed) and re-christened CHARTERHOUSE. The plan was to make her the centre-piece of a new marina to be built in Fishguard, but this plan was eventually shelved.
In November 2019 CHARTERHOUSE was moved to the West Wales Maritime Heritage Museum in Pembroke Dock for refurbishment and display.
On 14th February 2020, CHARTERHOUSE was officially welcomed to the West Wales Maritime Heritage Museum by the Lord-Lieutenant of Dyfed Ms Sara Edwards. The event was attended by the Chair of Pembrokeshire County Council, the Mayors of Pembroke Dock and of Fishguard & Goodwick, and mayors of other nearby towns.
Leach, N. Lifeboats and Lifeboat Stations in the UK.
Leach, N. Lifeboat Directory, 2013.
Launch ceremony at Goodwick after boat was sponsored by old boys and parents of Charterhouse School and named by wife of headmaster
Involved in her most notable rescue, that of HERMINA
Withdrawn from service and refitted as a pleasure craft, renamed MARIAN
Donated by owner to Charterhouse Returns Trust for display in Fishguard & Goodwick
Moved to West Wales Maritime Heritage Society, Pembroke Dock, for refurbishment and display
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org