Previous names

  • 1934 - 1963 Sun Risen
  • 1963 - 1992 Jesse Wallwork II
  • 1992 - 1994 Salvor
  • 1994 Sun Risen
Certificate no 3633
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Faversham
Vessel type Maintenance Vessel
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1923
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Breadth: Beam
14.00 feet (4.27 m)
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Length: Overall
69.50 feet (21.18 m)
Tonnage: Gross
56.38

History

SUN RISEN is a motor barge which was originally built by WJ. Yarwood and Sons Ltd in Northwich for J. Bannatyne & Sons Ltd in Co. Limerick, Ireland.  Her keel was laid in December 1923 and she was launched in October 1924.

She was sold to the South Ireland Transport Co. Ltd in March 1931, and sold again, to TS. Townsend & Sons Ltd of the Albion Flour Mills in 1934.  In 1937, when loaded with wheat from Avonmouth and bound for Worcester, she struck a submerged object and lost all her propeller blades.  In July 1961 she was towed to Worcester, and later sold to the Upper Mersey Navigation Commissioners at Runcorn for £500.  She was converted to be a Buoy Tender, including the fitting of a new 6cylinder Gardner engine.  Her propeller was repaired, and new bottom plates and rivetting installed at Manchester Dry Docks.

At the start of 1963 she was renamed JESSE WALLWORK II.  With the closure of the Upper Mersey Navigation to shipping in March 1973 she was sold to the Manchester Ship Canal Co. Around 1992 she was sold again, this time to the Salveson Diving Co. Ltd of Liverpool and renamed SALVOR.  In 1995 the Salveson Diving Co Ltd went into receivership and she was sold to Mr K. Birchall Liverpool.

In August 1994 she was sold to the Samuel Cockcroft Co. Ltd, Worsted Spinners of Bradford, when she was re-named SUN RISEN and re-registered to Liverpool.  In October 1997 she was sold to Mr Sam Bemrose of Somerset and converted into a residential boat.  In September 1999 she was sold to Linda Hird of London, and in February 2016 she was resold to her present owner and relocated to Faversham.

 

Key dates

  • 1923

    Keel laid at yard of W.J. Yarwood & Sons at Northwich

  • 1924

    Launched and despatched to J. Bannatyne & Sons Ltd in Co. Limerick, Ireland

  • 1931

    Sold to South Ireland Transport Co. Ltd

  • 1934

    Sold to T.S. Townsend & Sons Ltd at the Albion Flour Mills

  • 1937

    Lost propeller blades and towed to Worcester

  • 1961

    Sold to Upper Mersey Navigation Commissioners at Runcorn

  • 1963

    Converted for use as buoy tender and renamed JESSE WALLWORK II 

  • 1973

    Sold to Manchester Ship Canal Co. Ltd

  • 1992

    Sold to Salveson Diving Co. Ltd of Liverpool and renamed SALVOR

  • 1994

    Sold to Samuel Cockcroft & Co. Ltd, worsted spinners of Bradford and renamed SUN RISEN

  • 1995

    Sold into private ownership of Mr K. Birchall of Liverpool

  • 1997

    Sold to Mr S. Bemrose of Somerset and converted into residential boat

  • 1999

    Sold to Linda Hird of London

  • 2016

    Bought by current owner and relocated to Faversham

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Ivy May - during current collections move

Registered, built 1934 by Neath Canal Company, Neath

Enterprise under way - port side

Registered, built 1921 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne