Previous names

  • 1926 Mercury
Certificate no 3649
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Harefield
Vessel type Horse Drawn
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1925
Hull material Iron
Rig
Number of decks
Number of masts
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
0.92 feet (0.28 m)
Depth
2.00 feet (0.61 m)
Air Draft
6.00 feet (1.83 m)
Length: Overall
70.50 feet (21.49 m)
Tonnage: Gross
30.00

History

Built for Midlands and Coast, the hull style was copied from the Fellows, Morton, and Clayton (Josher) boats previously built by Yarwoods. Built with a forecabin, it was health registered at Wolverhampton, allocated number 1120 in 13/06/1926. 01/07/1926 – gauged by Birmingham Canal Navigation Co. at Tipton, allocated number 1173 1/07/1938 - Sold to FMC along with the rest of the Midlands and Coast Fleet. 08/1943 - Sold to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd, Birmingham. 1970 - 1988 Foxton Boat Services as a camper paried with OWL. 1988 to 1989 – MERCURY sold to Marjorie Calvin for use as a horse drawn trip boat on the western end of the Kennet and Avon Canal. Converted to live aboard, and is still converted 'under cloth'.

Key dates

  • 1926-02-26 Probably launch date, handed over to Midland and Coast.
  • 1926-06-13 Health Registration, Wolverhampton 1120
  • 1938-07-01 Sold to FMC
  • 1943-08-01 sold to Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd., Birmingham.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Gifford - dry docking

National Historic Fleet, built 1926 by Nurser Brothers, Braunston

Friendship - starboard side

National Historic Fleet, built 1925 by Sephtons, Sutton Stop, Coventry

overview of vessel

Archived, built 1908 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock

port side view

Registered, built 1925 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich