Previous names

  • 1934 - 1939 Ems
  • 1939 - 1972 F.K.0.1
  • 1972 Duke of Normandy II
Certificate no 3658
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Customs Vessel
Location River Weaver
Vessel type Customs & Excise Launch
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Unknown
Built in 1934
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
14.44 feet (4.40 m)
Depth
8.20 feet (2.50 m)
Air Draft
25.00 feet (7.62 m)
Length: Overall
71.19 feet (21.70 m)
Tonnage: Gross
54.31

History

DUKE OF NORMANDY was built in 1934 for the German Customs service and was originally called 'Ems'.  She was used for transporting Customs officers to the Guard ships moored in the mouths of the four river estuaries, the River Ems being one of them, where she worked out of Harem.  

On the outbreak of the Second World War, she was taken over by the German Navy and in 1942 was renamed 'F.K.01', short for Hafenshutz Flotille Kanalinseln (Harbour Protection Flotilla, Channel Islands) and operated out of St Helier, Jersey.

After WW2 and the liberation of the Channel Islands on the 9th May 1945, 'F.K.01' was taken over by the War Department as war reparation, for various duties around the Channel Isles with long spells where she was laid up in St Helier Old Harbour.  Considerable repairs to the 375 h.p Deutz diesel engine were carried out at this time.  On the 8th September she was sold by a Senior Contract Officer to the States of Jersey to replace their steam tug 'Duke of Normandy', built in 1903.

In 1974, she was sold by the States of Jersey and bought by J. Robinson of A.D.Moffat Ltd (or Robertson Marine Services) in Glasgow before being sold the following year to the British Waterways Board where she was used on the Caledonian Canal to tow the gate-lifter barge around.  

In 1992 she was bought by owners based in Crinan, Scotland, and then in 2018, having been sold to a further private owner, she relocated to the River Weaver.  

 

Key dates

  • 1934

    Vessel built in 1934 for the German Customs service

     

  • 1942

    Vessel renamed F.K.01

  • 9th May 1945

    F.K.01 taken over by the War Department for various duties around the Channel Isles

  • 8th September 1945

    Vessel sold to the States of Jersey

  • 1974

    Vessel sold into private ownership and was based in Scotland

  • 1975

    Vessel bought by the British Waterways Board and worked on the Caledonian Canal

  • 1992

    Vessel sold into private owners based in Scotland

  • 2018

    Vessel bought by new owners and based on the River Wear

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Stork at Maldon Jan 2019

Registered, built 1926 by Vosper, Portsmouth

Vigilant under tow - port side view

National Historic Fleet, built 1901 by Cox & Company, Falmouth