Previous names

  • 1927 - 2021 Ardea
Certificate no 3673
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Wroxham
Vessel type Wherry
Current use Sailing
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Robinson, Leo, Oulton Broad
Built in 1927
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff - Other
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Sail
Primary engine type
Boiler type
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
To be confirmed
Depth
5.50 feet (1.68 m)
Air Draft
5.00 feet (1.52 m)
Length: Overall
65.00 feet (19.81 m)
Tonnage: Gross
32.00

History

The last wherry to be built for the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads. ARDEA is a Pleasure wherry. 1927 – designed and built by Leo Robinson Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for Howard Hollingworth. Built in teak 1934 - sold to Cdr R G Lock. She was later sold to Lady Flora and again in 1960 by Joy Dunkerley and taken to Paris.  ARDEA was impounded by the French Authorities in the early 1970's after being bought by a Parisian  Madame.  Philippe Rouff paid of the debt and sold her to Philip Davies and returned to the Broads. She was restored to a sailing condition by a local builder.

In 2015, ARDEA was bought by Andrew Scull with agreement for her to be used for charter by Wherry Yacht Charter Charitable Trust. She is one of only eight remaining wherries. ARDEA has a diesel engine and electric engine but is primarily a sailing vessel which is hope she is generally used on the Broads

Key dates

  • 1927

    1927 – designed and built by Leo Robinson Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for Howard Hollingworth.

  • 1934

    Sold to Cdr R G Lock

  • 1947

    Sold to Lady Flora Conway-Cunliffe

     

  • 1958

    Sold to Harold and Joy Dunkerley and taken to Paris

  • 1970

    Bought by Philippe Rouff after being impounded by the French Authorities

  • 2005

    Returns to the Broads

  • 2015

    Bought by current owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

White Moth in Horning

Registered, built 1915 by Collins, Ernest & Sons (Wroxham) Ltd, Wroxham